Salisbury Cathedral Close Preservation Society



High Street Gate / Porter's Lodge


Photograph: H-Dieter Scholz                                                                                                                                  
^ top of page^    downČ   <<previous page<    >next page>>

 

High Street Gate / Porter's Lodge

Built between 1327 and 1342 the High Street gate is the main point of entry into the Cathedral Close. It housed the small lock-up jail for those convicted of misdeeds within the Liberty of the Close. Beside the gate stands the Porters Lodge. The post of porter to the Close was a much sought-after sinecure for the servants of kings and nobles in the middle ages. Before the building of St Osmund`s Roman Catholic Church in Exeter Street a Roman Catholic Chapel was registered as being in the lodge.
 

Opening Hours

The gate is locked at 11.00pm every night and opened again at 6:00am.

 

                                                                            ^ top of page^     <<previous page<   >next page>>